24-year-old David Dobrick is one of the most famous YouTubers in Hollywood. He made a name for himself on Vine, the short-form video app that created a generation of online stars. He then moved on to YouTube, where he and a group of friends known as Vlog Squad began sharing fast-paced comedic material, often featuring stunts.
Since 2014, he has received more than 18 million subscribers on his primary YouTube channel.
but An investigation by Kat Tenbergh in Insider Published this week, many viewers angrily reevaluated Mr. Dobrick’s work and his fandom, detailing allegations of sexual harassment against a former Vlog squad member. It is now challenging the success of its growing empire.
On Friday, a spokesperson for HelloFresh, one of their sponsors, said: “We can confirm that we are no longer working with David Dobrick or any member of the Vlog Squad and will be reuniting with him again in the future There are no plans to work with. “
A representative of Dollar Shave Club said, “We have decided to end our relationship and cancel all planned activities.” A spokesperson for EA Sports, which once gave Mr. Dobrick a Lamborghini, said the company could confirm that we are not currently working with him nor do we have any plans in the future.
On Thursday, SeatGeek, the ticketing company that is one of Mr. Dobrick’s biggest advertisers, reported that it was insider.review of“Company Partnership.”
In 2018, Mr. Dobrick posted a video titled “SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE PLAYED with FIRE” on his YouTube channel! It featured footage of social damsels with Mr. Dobrick and members of the Vlog Squad, as the men joked about having sex with them. Later, one of the men, Dom Zeglitis, speaks of having sex with one of them.
that woman Told the insider that he was incompetent During the evening, by alcohol and described the experience as rape. Her account was confirmed by at least one other woman who was present.
The woman confirmed her story to The New York Times and provided pictures, texts and videos in the evening to confirm her account.
“We’re going to jail,” Mr. Dobrick said At the end of the video.
The woman arrived to ask Mr. Ziglitis that the video be removed; This was after receiving over five million views.
The accuser has not contacted the police, and no accusations have been made.
Mr. Dobrick declined to comment through a representative. They a Video Addressing the narrative on Tuesday.
“I wanted to come here early and address some of the conversations going on on the Internet,” Mr. Dobrick said in the video, titled “lets talk“It was posted on a secondary channel which has a tenth of its main channel’s followers.
Mr. Dobrick stated in the video that “consent is something that is super, super important to me.” He said he wants approval from everyone who appears in his video and will take the video down if the people depicted in him no longer want to join.
“There have also been moments where I’ve looked back at the video, and I know that these no longer represent me, and they are harmful to other people, and I don’t want them because I grew up as one As a content producer and a person, “he said.” And I don’t agree with some of the videos he posted. “
“I’m sorry if I disappointed you,” he said.
Last month, a former Vlog squad member named Joseth “Seth” Francois said he was sexually assaulted in a video of Mr. Dobrick. In this report, he was tricked into kissing Jason Nash, another YouTuber; Mr. Francois believed that he was kissing a woman.
“The point of the video is to sexually harass me. This is the whole basis, ”Mr. Francois told Buzzfeed.
Mr. Dobrick addressed the incident in his apology. “With Seth’s position, I apologize to Seth, because like I said, I just want to make videos in which everyone, whether you’re participating or watching, is enjoying and having a good time. Has been, ”said Mr. Dobrick. . “And I missed the mark with that one. And I’m really sorry. I am really, really. “
Earlier last year, Mr. Dobrick was dubbed.General Z’s Jimmy Fallon“By The Wall Street Journal. Last April, he stepped back From regular vlogging, which became challenging during the epidemic, and shifted my focus to other projects, including Launching your own photo sharing app, called Dispo.
The app’s ratings went down by two stars in Apple’s App Store this week. Apple briefly halted the ability to leave reviews, as people crowded the space to harass Mr. Dobrick in the form of ratings and reviews.
Mr. Dobrick has lost more than 100,000 subscribers on his primary YouTube channel in the past week.
In Mr Dobrick’s apology video, he also stated that he “chose to distance” himself from some of the people previously depicted in his material. He said, “I do not stand for any kind of misconduct.”