Medical courses in Maharashtra are offered under various specializations including medical and biomedical sciences, pharmacy, allied health, nursing, health and wellness. A course in medicine and health sciences requires students to learn and follow the Hippocratic Oath for Ethical Conduct, which states that as a physician a person must be honest in all aspects i.e. patient care, teaching and research. It requires practicing the art and science of medicine. Students with a degree in Medical and Health Sciences can find career opportunities in the healthcare sector from hospitals, private clinics. A medical and health science graduate can work with research centers, laboratories, and the pharmaceutical industry. Healthcare is one of the largest service sector which includes medical sector, medical tourism and hospitals for health insurance, medical equipment, diagnostic procedures, telecommunications and IT.
Maharashtra is home to reputed institutes for offering medical courses like Dr. D.Y. Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune; KJ Somaiya Medical College, Mumbai; Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences (DMIMSU), Wardha; Armed Forces Medical College, Pune; Grant Medical College, Mumbai; Byramji Jeejeebhoy Government Medical College and Sassoon General Hospitals, Pune, etc. In Maharashtra, medical degrees are offered in various specializations. Some of the most prominent are as follows:
- general Medicine
- Quality Assurance
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
There are total 840 medical colleges in Maharashtra which offer full time, distance learning, part time and online studies. These colleges offer degree courses. Out of these, top 12 medical colleges in Maharashtra as ranked by NIRF, India Today and The Week offer degree courses in full-time study mode.
To pursue a career in medicine and health sciences, one must have a degree in medical specialization. The top medical colleges in Maharashtra offer a number of undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral, diploma and certificate courses in the field of medicine and health sciences. Some of the medical courses are mentioned below:
- MBBS – Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Science
- BDS – Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- BASLP – Audiology and Speech Language Pathology
- BOptom – Optometry
- BSc – Medical Imaging Technology
- BSc – Medical Laboratory Technology
- BSc- Nursing
- BOT – Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- BPharm – Pharmacy
- BPT – Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- BSc – Renal Dialysis Technology
- PBBSc – Nursing
- MD – Respiratory Medicine, Radio Diagnosis, Anesthesiology, Paediatrics, etc.
- MS – Obstetrics & Gynecology, Orthopedics, Ophthalmology, General Surgery, etc.
- MDS – Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, etc.
- MSc – Medical Anatomy, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Microbiology, Medical Physiology, etc.
- MPH – Health Management, Biostatistics
- MOT – hand rehabilitation, neuroscience, mental health, etc.
- mPharma – Pharmaceutical Analysis, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, etc.
- Diploma in Nursing
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Diploma in Optometry
- Diploma in Medical Record Science
- Certificate Course in Ophthalmic Technology
- Certificate Course in Blood Bank Technology
- Certificate Course in Health Inspector
- Certificate Course in Medical Office Management (CCMOM)
medical and health sciences Admission Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates should have passed class 12 examination with Science subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry and Zoology/ Botany
- Candidates must have studied English as a main subject in the qualifying examination
- In addition, candidates must also fulfill the age limit criteria i.e. they must have completed 17 years of age at the time of admission
- There are additional eligibility conditions as mentioned by the regulatory authorities for the discipline concerned such as Medical Council of India (MCI), Dental Council of Indian and Indian Nursing Council, Pharmacy Council of India, Indian Association of Physiotherapists and others Association/Council Medical and Health Sciences Syllabus.
In addition to merit-based admissions, many top-ranked medical colleges in Maharashtra also accept scores from national and state level entrance examinations, including NEET, etc., for medical admission.
Here is a list of some of the top private and public medical Colleges in Maharashtra:
Following is the list of top 2 medical colleges in Maharashtra ranked by NIRF:
Following is the list of top 3 medical colleges in Maharashtra ranked by Outlook:
Following is the list of top 5 medical colleges in Maharashtra ranked by India Today:
Refer to the below infographics to get a detailed description of top 4 cities of medical colleges in Maharashtra:
Top Recruiters and Scope for Medicare student
The top recruiters for medical and health science degree holders are majorly hospitals, medical research centers and pharmaceuticals. A person holding a degree in Medicine and Health Sciences can also practice from his own clinic after obtaining a practice license from a medical association.
Below are the various job profiles offered to medical Professionals in India:
- registered nurse
- medical researcher
- Medical Science Liaison
- general surgeon
- Healthcare Consultant
- medical officer
- medical laboratory technician
- environmental health and safety manager
- healthcare manager
- nurse teacher/instructor
Graduates from Top Medical Colleges in Maharashtra Can get an average salary of 1-5 LPA:
Graduates from Top 2 Medical Colleges in Below Maharashtra One can get an average salary of Rs 5-10 LPA:
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- DY Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune
Refer to the below infographic to get a detailed overview of Average Salary Medical in college Maharashtra:
Below is a list of some of the top companies that recruit medical students along with their placement ratings:
|Colleges||Placement Rating (Based on Reviews)||top recruiter|
|Armed Forces Medical College, Pune||4.9||Indian Armed Forces and Military Hospital, Army Medical Corporation|
|Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College and KEM Hospital, Mumbai||4.2||TCS, Cognizant|
|Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Mumbai||4.3||PHC|
how cheap is education Medical Courses in Maharashtra?
Based on the pie chart given below, it can be inferred that the cost of doing a medical course in Maharashtra is modest as the course/annual fee in 80% of the colleges is Rs 1-10 lakhs. Some of these colleges are:
- Byramji Jeejeebhoy Government Medical College and Sassoon General Hospitals, Pune
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Mumbai
- Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College and KEM Hospital, Mumbai
- DMIMSU, Wardha
Only 20% of medical colleges are expensive with a fee structure of more than Rs 40 lakh. Some of these colleges are:
- KJ Somaiya Medical College, Mumbai
Refer to the below infographic to get a detailed overview of the break-up of top medical colleges based on Maharashtra: